Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I cut up my veggies the night before and put them in a ziploc bag. Then in the morning, I dump everything in the crock pot and have a wonderful dinner waiting for me when I get home.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1⁄2 cup Burgundy wine or 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- hot cooked egg noodles
- In crock pot, combine the first 10 ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Serve over noodles.
We enjoyed this very much. I eliminated the carrots simply because I did not have any on hand. I know the carrot would have been delicious in this stew. I used beef broth. The gravy was perfect and needed no additional thickening. I served with mashed potatoes. Thanks so much for, bmcnichol, a delightful supper that was very easy to prepare!
Got this from TOH 's slow cooker contest. Great recipe. The easiest and best tasting beef burgundy I have tried. Wonderful over egg noodles and the tapioca gives it a beautiful rich glazed look. I added minced garlic and Worcestershire sauce and a pinch of sugar. Garnished with fresh minced parley-a keeper.
I made one addition (a potato, because DH insisted) and one omission (the tapioca, because I didn't think that it needed it). The flavor is deep and rich with the broth choice and a simple, hearth stew is so welcome after all of the Christmas excess. I served it in a bowl with a whole wheat bun. DH is raving and proclaiming it to be the best stew that he has had is ages. A recipe that gets that kind of reaction from my DH and is this easy had to be top marks. OH! I skipped the added salt also. I'm sure that this is a keeper.