Recipe by Debbie R.
This recipe is from "Cooking the Australian Way," which says that nearly every family has a version of it. This one sounds good. Haven't made it yet. If you're not looking to hold down fat content or calories, you can double the butter; substitute half-and-half for the evaporated skim milk; and use full-fat sour cream. Use fresh cooked and pureed pumpkin if desired
Top Review by Galley Wench
Thanks Debbie for a great recipe! I used cream rather than the evaporated milk. Followed your direction, however also added 1/2 teaspoon of anis. The next time I make think I'll add a clove of crushed garlic too! Made for ZWT 5.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons minced parsley
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter. Add chopped onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened but not brown. Add curry powder; cook 1 - 2 minutes longer. Process this in a food processor or blender. Add pumpkin and salt. Process til smooth. Add evaporated milk. Process again until smooth.
- Pour pumpkin mixture back into pan. Stir in broth. Heat slowly over low heat, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, stir cinnamon and minced parsley into the sour cream.
- Serve steaming hot with a dollop of the sour cream mixture atop each bowl.