Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is my dad's favorite casserole. The recipe was passed to me from my Aunt in Minnesota.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice (uncooked)
- 3 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cut green beans
- 1 (26 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook hamburger and onion together until meat is no longer pink; drain grease.
- Stir the rest of the ingredients into the meat mixture.
- Pour mixture into lasagna casserole dish and bake for 1 1/2 hours or until rice is done.
This was OK but a little bland and a little dry. I added some beef broth to it. The rice sucked up all the juice. But it was good for a winter evening, and didn't take a lot of time to put together.
I modified by using venison burger and Minute multi-grain medley. I used beef broth, cut it by half a cup, added the Minute rice, mixed in the fat free soup, and added peas rather than beans. Done is 30 minutes and tastes terrific! Nearly fat free with the venison burger. Yummy!
I added 2 elephant garlic cloves minced to both rice and hamburger while cooking. Then I added a little soy sauce and WOW