Recipe by Karen From Colorado
Great coleslaw for that bext backyard bar-b-q or picnic.
Top Review by Myrna in London
I have chopped more cabbages than I care to think on in the search for the definitive coleslaw. My tastebuds are fairly amiable, but not so those of my son. His primary (annual summer) complaint is that I simply can’t make decent coleslaw. This assertion is based not necessarily on the facts, but rather what in actuality he is saying is that I hadn’t yet made a cabbage salad that tastes remotely like what his beloved grandmother used to make. Apparently now I can!! I could see from the first mouthful that I finally had lucked into a recipe that he liked. In this case it is almost secondary that I loved it too. Thank you Karen! (prepared for the COOKOUT Cookathon July 1st –July 4th 2002)
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cabbage, carrot, bell pepper, and onion in a large bowl.
- To prepare dressing, stir together mayonnaise or salad dressing, vinegar, sugar, celery seed, and salt.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture.
- Toss lightly to coat vegetables.
- Cover and chill.