Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
After taking the original of this recipe from Taste of Home's Quick Cooking, Collector's Edition 2003 (23), I tweeked it a bit & came up with the following version. If a little extra flavoring is desired, I sometimes use a garden vegetable cream cheese.
- 20 ounces fresh mixed vegetables (broccoli, baby carrots & cauliflower, fresh)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese spread
- 1 cup seasoned croutons
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Steam vegetables until just tender, then drain & place in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together soup & cream cheese, then stir that mixture into the vegetables.
- Pour vegetables into a greased 1-quart baking dish & sprinkle with the croutons.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
This was just okay. Made it for Thanksgiving dinner and nobody raved about it.
It cannot get much easier than this to put together creamed mixed veggies & I did mix it up by using frozen cauliflower & broccoli florets + fresh carrots & snow peas. I tasted the mixture & added McCormick Lemon & Pepper Seasoning Salt to perk up the flavor a bit. The happy outcome was the sauce approached an almost hollandaise-like flavor w/o the guilt. I esp like easy, pop in the oven & go about your business recipes like this, so thx for sharing this recipe w/us.
What a delicious and easy way to make creamed veggies. I used fresh broccoli, cauliflower, baby carrots cut in half, three ribs of chopped celery, and a handful of frozen peas, with homemade seasoned croutons using Seasoning Mix for the seasoning. Much quicker than making homemade white sauce. Served with grilled chicken and baked potatoes. Added this recipe to my favorites binder!