Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These peas are delicious served on toast! You could make this using half and half cream or 18% table cream although it will not be a creamy. If you are using water, then you might want to add in 1-2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder to the water when boiling but that is optional. This complete recipe may be doubled.
Top Review by Cheffie M
This is quite good and DH loved his first helping of creamed peas! I prepared the recipe mostly as written except that I used a little more broth because I wanted to boil some pearl onions before proceeding with the recipe. I decreased the sugar to a teaspoon, too. This is a great recipe that can be changed up many ways. I love creamed peas and onions but it would also be great with potatoes, too. I might even try frying up a little curry powder in the butter before I add the broth and vegetables. Lots of possibilities here! Thanks for another great recipe.
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 2⁄3 cup chicken broth (or use water)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (to taste) (optional)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons parmesan cheese (to taste) (optional)
- salt and black pepper (to taste, I use seasoned salt)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan combine the peas with chicken broth or water; and garlic powder (if using) bring to a simmer then add in butter (do not drain the broth or water).
- In a small bowl whisk together whipping cream with flour and sugar until smooth then add to the peas; cook stirring over medium-high heat stirring/whisking constantly until thick and bubbly (about 4 minutes).
- Mix in Parmesan cheese (if using) then season with salt and pepper to taste.