Creamed Peas and Potatoes
I've had this recipe for years. The green from the peas and the red skins on the potatoes make a very attractive (and delicious) side dish. It is outstanding served with salmon and a wonderful addition to a meat loaf meal. And best of all -- it's quite easy to prepare.
- Ready In:
- 4 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- Place potatoes in saucepan, cover with water and cook until tender.
- Cook peas according to package directions, adding the sugar.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan; add flour, salt and pepper to form a paste.
- Gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute -- stirring often. Add dill; cook until thickened and bubbly.
- Drain potatoes and peas and return to one saucepan. Pour sauce over; stir to combine.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with a sprig of fresh dill if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Reading some of the reviews I could write almost exactly the same as the lady who's grandmother made this from the Midwest. I grew up in Kansas and my mother would make this often out of my dad's garden. We also didn't use the dill and yes the sugar is a must! This brought back good memories! Thanks for posting it!!