Rich tasting, warm and comforting. I had a recipe I loved for this soup, but the original called for a lot more butter and 2 cups of heavy cream. I didn't really want to save this soup for special occasions only, so I attempted to reduce the fat & calories by reducing the butter and replacing the cream with evaporated milk - I have even tried evaporated skim milk with success (but it is better with whole evaporated milk). If I am serving this to guests, I use the half-n- half, but for just me I like it with the milk. I have never missed the cream in this.
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 1⁄2 cups carrots, peeled,thinly sliced
- 1 large potato, peeld,cubed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans98% fat free chicken broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger powder
- 2 cups evaporated milk or 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- In a large stockpot, melt butter and saute onion until soft and tender, about 5 minutes or so.
- Add carrots, potatoes, chicken broth, and ginger powder.
- Cover and cook on medium heat 30 minutes or until veggies are very tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool 15 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, puree the soup right in the pot (or pour some into a blender and puree- you'll have to do this in batches though).
- Return to heat and add milk, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Cook over low heat until heated through, maybe 5 minutes or so.
This soup is creamy and delicious! I used some whole milk with good results since I didn't have either of the other kinds, only needing about 1 1/2 cups to get the right creamy texture. Instead of the powdered ginger, I used 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh ginger, and a peeled chopped apple to the saute mix. Maybe I wasn't feeling adventurous, but I left out the rosemary, which I usually love. It didn't seem to go with the apple/ginger addition that I made. This is an easy, nutritous soup, Heather that my DH and I enjoyed very much.
There is a thread on carrots going and it reminded me that I never reviewed this.
I really enjoyed this recipe. I did use fresh ginger vs powdered and used half and half (not a fan of evaporated milk). I also added 1 small clove of garlic. I used vegetable broth as I wanted to keep it vegetarian which tasted very very good. I also added a bit of fresh parsley and garnished it with a few chives.
But I don't think the small amount of garlic or parsley changed the flavor. It was good as is. A very easy, warm comfort soup. Will definitely make it again!
I left out the rosemary because I don't like it and used skim milk. This was still very tasty though I think I'd use a tad bit less ginger next time.