Cream of Pumpkin Soup
This is my favorite soup! It's warm and comforting on a chilly Fall evening. I adapted it from a recipe I found on another website years ago. Unlike the original recipe, it's made with milk or soy milk instead of heavy cream, so it's healthy and can be dairy-free!
- Ready In:
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup soymilk
- Saute onion in margarine in a medium saucepan until tender.
- Add 1 can chicken broth; stir well.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Transfer broth mixture into the container of a blender or processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan.
- Add remaining can of broth, pumpkin, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground pepper; stir well.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in milk or soy milk and heat through.
- Do not boil.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls.