2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe can be a lot of work, so I have not made it for a while. I invented it many, many years ago and haven't seen anything else like it. It's a nice comfort food in the winter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Lightly steam the potato slices. You can use new potatoes or any potato that doesn't have a high starch content works better than the Idaho potatoes. Set aside.
- 2Thinly slice three of the carrots into coin shapes and lightly steam. Set aside.
- 3With the remaiing 3 carrots, cut groves into each carrot, lengthwise, then thinly slice them like you did with the previous carrots, buts you will have flower shapes because of the groves which will form petals. Lightly steam and set aside.
- 4Take out the cabbages. Carefully remove 20 large leaves and blanch them in boiling water in batches, 2-3 minutes per batch. Let cool.
- 5Cut out the tough stem (vein) from each cabbage leaf. Set aside.
- 6Grate the remaining cabbage and lightly steam and set aside.
- 7In a large frying pan put the oil and onion and stir-fry until the onion is tender. Add the corned beef, 1/4 cup water and salt and pepper as needed. Check to make sure that the mixture doesnt get too dry or you may have to add a little more water. Mix well, mashing the meat into small pieces with the mixing spoon.
- 8Take out a cabbage leaf. Put inside the leaf 4-5 potato slices(about 1/20 of the potato slices), 3-5 carrot rounds, some of the meat mixture and a little of the grated cabbage. Roll up the cabbage leaf and place it in a lightly oiled lasagna pan.
- 9Fill the remaining cabbage leaves the same way.
- 10Pour the vegetable broth over the cabbage leaves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired. Sprinkle the carrot flowers on top. Cover securely with foil.
- 11Bake 350 degrees for at least 45 minutes or until everything is hot.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corned Beef and Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (989 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 698.5
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 111.0 mg
- Sodium 1421.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.7 g
- Sugars 21.5 g
- Protein 33.1 g