Recipe by Bill Gary
Corn bread recipes with oil or butter are ok, but the bacon fat in this gives it a little tang that is undeniable.
Top Review by Bev I Am
Bill this is an excellent corn bread recipe! I made pulled pork barbeque over the weekend the your corn bread was just perfect to go with it. I really enjoyed the addition of the Monterey Jack Cheese and the bacon grease which helped to give it great texture and flavor. Thank you, Bill for this great recipe!
- 1 cup cornmeal (stone ground if you can find it, regular old Quaker if you can't)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup rendered bacon fat
- 1⁄2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine all dry ingredients except the cheese, and whisk until blended.
- Add the wet ingredients in this order: eggs, milk, bacon fat.
- Whisk or stir until well mixed, but not completely smooth, just like a pancake batter.
- Add the cheese and stir to blend.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased round cake pan (for pie-like slices) or into a 9" square pan.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.