Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Corn bread recipes with oil or butter are ok, but the bacon fat in this gives it a little tang that is undeniable.
- 1 cup cornmeal (stone ground if you can find it, regular old Quaker if you can't)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup rendered bacon fat
- 1⁄2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine all dry ingredients except the cheese, and whisk until blended.
- Add the wet ingredients in this order: eggs, milk, bacon fat.
- Whisk or stir until well mixed, but not completely smooth, just like a pancake batter.
- Add the cheese and stir to blend.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased round cake pan (for pie-like slices) or into a 9" square pan.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Bill this is an excellent corn bread recipe! I made pulled pork barbeque over the weekend the your corn bread was just perfect to go with it. I really enjoyed the addition of the Monterey Jack Cheese and the bacon grease which helped to give it great texture and flavor. Thank you, Bill for this great recipe!
Just like Mom used to make. I served it with Navy bean soup. Also added half an onion, finely diced and added dried chives and red pepper flakes for color. This will be my ONLY recipe for corn bread from now on. Thanks a million for the recipe.
Since I had to use muffin tins (baking pan shortage!!), I reduced the temperature to 350F and they cooked in 20 minutes. They were part of my Mexican dinner for the family last night & enjoyed by all. Thanx Bill!