1/1 Photo of Coq Au Vin (Chicken Braised in Red Wine)
1 hr 30 mins
Elegant but hearty chicken and wine dish. A nice blend of Burgundy, herbs, and garlic. I serve this with hot cooked noodles, crusty French bread, and a salad for a wonderful company meal. And don't forget the wine!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -3 1/2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up (I remove the skin)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 small onions
- 1/2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 4 carrots, halved or julienned
- 1 cup chicken broth (or 1 chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup water)
- 1 cup red Burgundy wine
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Mix flour, salt and pepper and put in paper or plastic bag.
- 2Drop chicken pieces into bag and shake to coat.
- 3In large skillet fry bacon until crisp; drain and reserve bacon bits.
- 4Brown chicken in bacon drippings.
- 5Remove to a plate.
- 6Add onions and mushrooms to skillet and cook until onions are tender.
- 7Drain off fat.
- 8Return chicken pieces to skillet (or you can place this in a large oven-proof baking dish).
- 9Add remaining ingredients, including bacon bits.
- 10Cover and simmer about 1 hours.
- 11or until chicken is tender.
- 12(Or cover and bake at 350F for 1-1 1/2 hrs).
- 13Remove Bouquet Garni before serving.
- 14Skim off excess fat.
- 15If desired, sprinkle with snipped parsley.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coq Au Vin (Chicken Braised in Red Wine)
Serving Size: 1 (714 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 985.7
- Calories from Fat 518
- Total Fat 57.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 263.5 mg
- Sodium 1446.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 71.1 g