Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I've been making a variant of this non-mayo-based slaw for may years. This is adapted from The New York Cookbook.
- Finely slice the cabbage, green pepper, and onion into a large bowl - I use a mandoline for thin and even slices. If you do likewise, be very careful not to cut yourself.
- Grate the carrot into the bowl with the cabbage mixture.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup of sugar on the cabbage mixture and toss.
- In a non-reactive small saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining ingredients (1/4 cup sugar, vinegar, oil (original recipe called for 3/4 cup, which was overwhelmingly oily), salt, and dry mustard. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Pour vinegar mixture over cabbage mixture. Toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving but this slaw will last for at least several days.