I've been making a variant of this non-mayo-based slaw for may years. This is adapted from The New York Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Finely slice the cabbage, green pepper, and onion into a large bowl - I use a mandoline for thin and even slices. If you do likewise, be very careful not to cut yourself.
- 2Grate the carrot into the bowl with the cabbage mixture.
- 3Sprinkle 3/4 cup of sugar on the cabbage mixture and toss.
- 4In a non-reactive small saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining ingredients (1/4 cup sugar, vinegar, oil (original recipe called for 3/4 cup, which was overwhelmingly oily), salt, and dry mustard. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- 5Pour vinegar mixture over cabbage mixture. Toss well.
- 6Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving but this slaw will last for at least several days.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cool and Crunchy Coleslaw
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.7
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 600.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 20.4 g
- Protein 1.3 g