1/1 Photo of Coconut Macaroons
1 hr 25 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- 2Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- 3Put unsweetened coconut in bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade and add 1 1/4 cups sugar.
- 4Process until mixture is finely ground and well combined.
- 5Put egg whites in the clean bowl of electric mixer.
- 6Set the bowl in a skillet with 1 to 1 1/2 inces of hot water.
- 7Place over low heat and beat constantly with a whisk until warm and frothy.
- 8(This will happen almost immediately; be careful not to overheat, or the whites will cook).
- 9Transfer the bowl to the electric mixer, which has been fitted with the whisk attachment.
- 10Add the salt to the whites and beat at high speed until they become white and thick.
- 11With the machine running, add remaining 1 cup sugar in a steady stream and continue to beat until thick and shiny.
- 12Add the honey and both extracts and continue to beat until stiff (the mixture will look like thick, shiny melted marshmallows).
- 13Remove the bowl from the machine and using a sturdy rubber spatula, fold in the ground coconut mixture and 2 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut.
- 14Combine gently but thoroughly.
- 15Using a medium-sized ice cream scoop, scoop macaroon batter onto prepared baking sheets, in 3 rows of 3 per sheet.
- 16Using your fingers, place a good pinch of the sweetened premium shred coconut on top of each mound, spreading gently to cover.
- 17To correct the shape of a mound, use your fingers to gently prop up and round the batter, which will be soft.
- 18Position oven rack on the center shelf.
- 19Place macaroons in oven and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F.
- 20Bake for 23 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown on the outside but still visibly soft on the inside.
- 21Let sheet sit on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 22Use a thin metal spatula to transfer the cookies.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Macaroons
Serving Size: 1 (2370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 12110.8
- Calories from Fat 8549
- Total Fat 949.8 g
- Saturated Fat 841.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1576.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 932.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 231.4 g
- Sugars 700.1 g
- Protein 126.2 g