Make and share this Coconut Macaroons recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Put unsweetened coconut in bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade and add 1 1/4 cups sugar.
- Process until mixture is finely ground and well combined.
- Put egg whites in the clean bowl of electric mixer.
- Set the bowl in a skillet with 1 to 1 1/2 inces of hot water.
- Place over low heat and beat constantly with a whisk until warm and frothy.
- (This will happen almost immediately; be careful not to overheat, or the whites will cook).
- Transfer the bowl to the electric mixer, which has been fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Add the salt to the whites and beat at high speed until they become white and thick.
- With the machine running, add remaining 1 cup sugar in a steady stream and continue to beat until thick and shiny.
- Add the honey and both extracts and continue to beat until stiff (the mixture will look like thick, shiny melted marshmallows).
- Remove the bowl from the machine and using a sturdy rubber spatula, fold in the ground coconut mixture and 2 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut.
- Combine gently but thoroughly.
- Using a medium-sized ice cream scoop, scoop macaroon batter onto prepared baking sheets, in 3 rows of 3 per sheet.
- Using your fingers, place a good pinch of the sweetened premium shred coconut on top of each mound, spreading gently to cover.
- To correct the shape of a mound, use your fingers to gently prop up and round the batter, which will be soft.
- Position oven rack on the center shelf.
- Place macaroons in oven and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Bake for 23 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown on the outside but still visibly soft on the inside.
- Let sheet sit on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use a thin metal spatula to transfer the cookies.