Recipe by seahorse73
Top Review by Faira
This is an easy and Yummmy recipe for macaroons, I love it. They are crunchy on the outside but moist melt in your mouth on the inside where it counts. Not dry like so many recipes for Macaroons turn out being. I am diabetic so I had to substitute the sugar for Splenda but still turned out scrumptious!!! Great for relieveing that sweet tooth... if you are diabetic or not.
- 6 cups dried unsweetened coconut
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 7 extra large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 pinch table salt
- 3 tablespoons mild honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups sweetened coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Put unsweetened coconut in bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade and add 1 1/4 cups sugar.
- Process until mixture is finely ground and well combined.
- Put egg whites in the clean bowl of electric mixer.
- Set the bowl in a skillet with 1 to 1 1/2 inces of hot water.
- Place over low heat and beat constantly with a whisk until warm and frothy.
- (This will happen almost immediately; be careful not to overheat, or the whites will cook).
- Transfer the bowl to the electric mixer, which has been fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Add the salt to the whites and beat at high speed until they become white and thick.
- With the machine running, add remaining 1 cup sugar in a steady stream and continue to beat until thick and shiny.
- Add the honey and both extracts and continue to beat until stiff (the mixture will look like thick, shiny melted marshmallows).
- Remove the bowl from the machine and using a sturdy rubber spatula, fold in the ground coconut mixture and 2 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut.
- Combine gently but thoroughly.
- Using a medium-sized ice cream scoop, scoop macaroon batter onto prepared baking sheets, in 3 rows of 3 per sheet.
- Using your fingers, place a good pinch of the sweetened premium shred coconut on top of each mound, spreading gently to cover.
- To correct the shape of a mound, use your fingers to gently prop up and round the batter, which will be soft.
- Position oven rack on the center shelf.
- Place macaroons in oven and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Bake for 23 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown on the outside but still visibly soft on the inside.
- Let sheet sit on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use a thin metal spatula to transfer the cookies.