Baked Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
photo by KerfuffleUponWincle
- Ready In:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsel (6 oz)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Place the chocolate in the top of a double boiler; bring water to a boil. Reduce the heat to low; cook until the chocolate melts. Let it cool to room temperature. Stir in coconut and pecans.
- Beat the egg whites and salt at the high speed of an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and the sugar dissolves (2 to 4 minutes). Fold the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove the cookies to wire racks, and let cool completely.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Love these macaroons. I did sub chopped almonds for the pecans and have light and fluffy bites of heaven. Hubby who really does not like coconut at all loves these cookies. I received 30 cookies from the recipe as I probably had a pretty good heaping scoop for each cookie. I would recommend a very light spray of non-stick spray on the sheets with foil as my first batch wanted to stick. Great cookie to make up quickly!
Crispy exterior, with a fudgey inside. Delicious! My egg whites never reached stiff peak stage; maybe they had a bit of yolk in them, or it could have been from the orange extract I added? Anyway I added an extra cup of coconut and chilled the mixture for 45 minutes before scooping! I was heavy handed and only got 24 macaroons. I was tempted to sub slivered almonds for the toasted pecans ~ Something to try next time! Tagged for Photo Tag, due 12/15/13.
see 1 more reviews