Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
photo by May I Have That Rec
- Ready In:
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate or 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a stainless steel bowl, over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Stir in the coconut and melted chocolate, making sure the coconut is well coated. If the mixture is too soft, refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Place small mounds (about 1 tablespoon) of the dough on the parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing several inches apart. Bake for about 15 or until the macaroons are shiny.
- Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes and then place on a wire rack to cool.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These are very tasty and simple to make. They don't taste nearly as sweet as I thought they would. Maybe it's the weather today (rainy and humid in Honolulu) but my cookies did not spread at all, and I really didn't need to leave much space between them. I followed the recipe exactly as written and used a small scoop; made about 30 cookies. Mahalo Manny!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> I love cupcakes! So, you'll see more recipes of these and amazing frosting than anything. Also, I am a die hard Boston Red Sox fan, Manny Ramirez & Jason Varitek are my favorite baseball players of all time! <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/kimcinvb/1-7.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/kimcinvb/2156564606.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/kimcinvb/th2129694.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0PxHqMEcSuQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>