Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Needed a BIG pot of soup for a group function and couldn't choose from the many Clam Chowder variations I saw, so I made my own. The pot was empty at the end of the night. Hope you like it!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups onions, finely diced
- 2 cups leeks, finely diced
- 2 cups celery, finely diced
- 1 cup carrot, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried celery flakes
- 5 -6 cups potatoes, small dice
- 8 ounces clam juice
- 4 cups water
- 6 1⁄2 ounces minced clams (juice reserved)
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- In a large stockpot, saute onions, leeks, celery carrot and garlic in butter over medium heat until tender (~10 minutes).
- Add potatoes, clam juice (including juice drained from minced clams), spices, vinegar and water to stockpot. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes (until potatoes are tender).
- Combine 3 C half and half with flour, then add to stockpot.
- Add clams, remaining half and half and Tabasco to stockpot and stir to combine well.
- Heat through, stirring to mix. As it heats through soup will thicken.
- Be sure to taste chowder before serving and season further with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!