Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A wonderful seafood stew!
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups white wine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bay scallops
- 18 small clams
- 18 mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1 1⁄2 cups crabmeat
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cod fish fillets, cubed
- Over medium-low heat melt butter in a large stockpot,add onions, garlic and parsley.
- Cook slowly, stirring occasionally until onions are soft.
- Add tomatoes to the pot (break them into chunks as you add them).
- Add chicken broth, bay leaves, basil, thyme, oregano, water and wine. Mix well.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels and crabmeat.
- Stir in fish, if desired.
- Bring to boil.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes until clams open.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with warm, crusty bread!
This was so yummy. Loved all the seafood in this recipe. We couldn't stop eating. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.
i first found this recipe on allrecipes.com by Star Pooley - 5 stars w/ 126 reviews. this recipe is great. i sub the butter w/ olive oil but not all 3/4 c of it and sub water w/ claim juice. husband said it's better than the restaurants (and much cheaper too)
I used this particular recipe because I couldn't get the dungeness crabs, required in other recipes, but could get crabmeat. I didn't have white wine, so I used red, and I used veggie broth instead of chicken. I also used snapper instead of cod. Easy recipe. Great combination of textures, colors and flavours. The guests polished it off and wanted the recipe. This is a good, basic recipe that can be successfully changed, depending on what shellfish is available.