Prep 25 mins
Cook 6 mins
Loaded with chunks of avocado and mango, this beautiful dish makes an excellent summer meal. But there's no need to limit it to one season because it's delicious year-round! The bright, refreshing flavors taste great hot or cold too, making this an excellent brown-bag lunch recipe. If going veggie simply omit the chicken, you'll get fewer servings without it (just so you know).
- 4 ounces dried whole wheat rotini pasta
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion (1 large)
- 1 medium mango, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium avocado, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup chopped yellow sweet pepper (1 medium)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped sweet red pepper (1 medium)
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- lime wedge
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, in a blender combine lime juice, cilantro, oil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Cover and blend about 30 seconds or until well mixed. Set aside.
- Lightly coat the rack of an indoor electric grill with cooking spray. Preheat grill. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Place chicken on grill rack. If using a grill with a cover, close lid. Grill until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F). (For a covered grill, allow about 6 minutes. For an uncovered grill, allow 12 to 15 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling.) Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl combine pasta, chicken, tomatoes, red onion, mango, avocado, sweet peppers, and jalapeno pepper. Pour dressing over pasta mixture; toss gently to coat. If desired, serve with lime wedges.
Outstanding in every way! Vibrant colors and flavors (don't leave out the jalapeno), and a filling healthy meal. I made in advance and refrigerated, adding the chilled dressing and sliced mango and avocado before serving. The lime cilantro dressing is an amazing recipe on its own!