Indian Potatoes with Cauliflower - Aloo Gobi
- Ready In:
- 16 ounces cauliflower florets
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 fresh chilies, minced (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 5⁄8 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 -2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- Steam cauliflower until tender; set aside.
- Peel potatoes; chop into 1/2" cubes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet; add 1 teaspoon cumin seed, 3/4 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp cayenne, and 2 tsp ground coriander; heat briefly until mixture becomes fragrant.
- Add onions to pan and cook until onions are tender.
- Add potatoes and 1/2 tsp salt to pan, mixing spices onto potatoes; then add 1 cup water.
- Cook over medium heat for 30-40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, adding more water if necessary.
- When cauliflower is steamed, heat 1 tbsp of oil in another skillet; add 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp cumin seed, and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.
- Heat spices until they sizzle, then stir in 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/8 tsp salt.
- Cook until mixture becomes pasty, then stir in cauliflower, coating vegetables with sauce.
- Continue cooking both cauliflower and potato mixtures until they have a fairly dry consistency.
- Stir cauliflower into potatoes; mix in chopped cilantro; sprinkle top with garam masala and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I was really looking forward to this, but it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. It was not easy to make, but it had a great aroma that made me think it was going to be great. In the end, I found it both lacked flavor and was too spicey - an odd combination. Maybe the solution would be to add more salt and cut down on the chiles.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a longtime member since 2002. While I have many recipes here, most of my current recipes are on my food blog at palatablepastime.com I may occasionally post something extra I have here. If you have questions, you can always contact me at email@example.com