Recipe by Miss Erin C.
This is the first recipe I've tried out of my new cookbook, A New Way To Cook. It turned out great. I loved chocolate malt balls and the malted flavor in general. The malted milk powder also helps to keep the creamy texture even though you are using 1% lowfat milk.
- 4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup instant malted milk powder
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch Processed)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, blend 1/2 cup of milk with the cornstarch.
- Combine the malted milk powder, cocoa and salt in a small heavy saucepan and slowly whisk in the remaining 3-1/2 cups of milk, the chocolate and the sugar. Heat over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture.
- Cook, stirring frequently, over very low heat until very thick and just beginning to boil, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Let cool, stirring occasionally until the custard is just warm.
- Pour the pudding into small 1/2 c bowls.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set.
- You can make this up to 3 days in advance.