The muffins itself are not a dark chocolate but the chocolate chips is what adds to the flavor chocolate flavor :)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups mini chocolate chips (can use more)
- white sugar
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease 12 regular size muffin tins or line with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour with cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In another large bowl whisk togther milk, egg, oil and vanilla until well combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients using a wodden spoon until just combined (do not overmix!).
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin tins.
- Sprinkle white sugar over the top of each muffin (use any amount of sugar desired).
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the muffins test done.
Ooooh, they smell good. I tried mine a little differently. I chopped up chocolate from a bar to make the chips, (big chips at that ;) ) partly because I just love Galaxy Muffins and wanted to make something as similar as I could. I will say, that is probably why they aren't as upright and peaking at the top as yours in the picture. But I may try another approach next time as the chips were big and heavy. I shall ice my muffins with just chocolate. I'm sooooo looking forward to digging into them properly (I took a little bit off the edge of one of them, it was brilliant!) Thanks for this recipe!
My husband and I both agree that they had very little chocolate flavor too them even using Hersey's cocoa and extra chips :(
These are sooooo good!! As I wanted to make these a little less sweet, I added only about 3/4 cup of sugar - and they were perfect! (unless you have a real sweet tooth!). Thanks so much Kit - and my co-workers thank you too!! :)