Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This one is for DH. From 1001 Low Fat Vegetarian.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sweet cherries (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 3 cups hot water
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- Combine flour, sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa and baking powder in a large bowl; stir in milk and applesauce until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fold in cherries and pecans.
- Spoon batter into a greased and floured 13 by 9 inch pan.
- Combine brown sugar, hot water and 1/4 cup cocoa in medium bowl until smooth.
- Pour over batter.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until set (cake will have a pudding-like texture).
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
I wish I had read the other review before making this recipe. I agree - major disappointment. Pudding never set. Chocolate flavor was not right - raw cocoa powder dominated. I think the absence of fat is the culprit - most recipes with cocoa call for fat to develop the chocolate flavor.
This was a HUGE disappointment. There were two main problems I think. First, 3 tablespoons is just too much baking powder. It gave the cake a nasty aftertaste. Second, 3 cups of water is too much. The cake baked nicely but the "pudding" part remained watery in both texture and flavor. A huge waste of fresh cherries. Maybe cutting the baking powder down to 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons and the water down to 2 cups would help, but I don't want to risk it. Neither my husband (a sweets whore) or myself liked it at all and the whole thing went in the garbage.