Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe came from my grandmother, Effie McGregor Reinecke. It is a family favorite and my kids just love it. I am putting it here for safe keeping.
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk, scaled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 stiffly beaten egg whites
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 (9 ounce) packageof nabisco famous chocolate wafers
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- Crush up the package of Chocolate Wafers (Save 1/4 cup crushed wafers for the topping).
- Add the 1/3 cup melted butter to the crushed up Chocolate Wafers.
- Press mixture into the bottom of an 9 x 9 pyrex dish.
- Chill while making the filling.
- Soften gelatin in water.
- Combine egg yolks, sugar and salt, then slowly add scaled milk.
- Cook in a double boiler until the mixture coats a spoon,about 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Do not overcook.
- Add softened gelatin and mix well, then cool the mixture.
- Add the vanilla.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites and whipped cream.
- Pour mixture onto the Chocolate Wafer crust.
- Sprinkle the 1/4 cup of dry Chocolate Wafers over the top.
- Chill throughly.