Recipe by PaulaG
This recipe comes from Better Home and Gardens Special Interest Publications entitled Low Calorie and Low-Fat Recipes which was published in 1994. When going through some old magazines recently the recipe resurfaced and I decided to post it for safe keeping. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. It is a good alternative to higher fat, higher cholesterol recipes.
Top Review by Little Nan
Thanks Paula for a delicious casserole. We all loved this and ate every bit of chile rellenos. I don't usually like to make this kind of casserole with eggs and cheese, but if you use low fat milk and low fat cheese, it still comes out very tasty. My family already wants to know when are you making this again. Ha, Ha.
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chili peppers, drained
- 4 -6 ounces longhorn cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 cup biscuit mix (I use Baking Mix Aka "bisquick".)
- 1 cup egg substitute, or
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- plain yogurt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 2-quart baking dish by spraying with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the chopped chili and cheese over bottom of dish.
- Combine the milk, biscuit mix, and egg substitute in a medium mixing bowl; using a wire whisk beat till smooth.
- Stir in the cottage cheese and spoon mixture over the chili and cheese.
- Bake uncovered approximately 45 minutes or until puffed and a knife insered near center comes out clean.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Top each serving with salsa, sour cream or plain yogurt.