Easy Chiles Rellenos Casserole
- Ready In:
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 (4 ounce) cans whole green chilies, drained
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese (2 cups)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 8-inch square casserole dish or baking pan with nonstick spray, or lightly rub with oil.
- In a mixing bowl, combine egg whites, evaporated milk, and flour, whisking to blend.
- Place half the chiles in the casserole dish, and cover with half of the egg mixture.
- Reserving 1/2 cup of each type of cheese for topping, sprinkle the 1/2 of the remainder of the cheese over chiles.
- Layer again with the chiles, top with the remaining egg mixture, the other half of the cheese, and then cover that with the tomato sauce.
- Place the casserole in the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes; then sprinkle the reserved cheese (1/2 cup of each) on top of the rellenos.
- Replace in the oven and continue to bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until the edges are bubbly, and the cheese is nicely melted.
- Allow to rest 5 minutes or so before slicing into servings.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
We thought this was good! It was my frist time making relleno casserole, so I followed the instructions exactly. I did want to point out, however, that I could not find 4 oz cans of whole chiles, so I just bought a big honkin' can of the suckers and used enough to cover the layers. The beauty part of this recipe is that it's super easy and quick to assemble, and fairly mess free. Served with sliced green onions, sour cream and salsa. Thanks for sharing!