Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Dress this dish up for company by substituting chanterelle or shiitake mushrooms for the white mushrooms
- 4 medium chicken breast halves (1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil or 1 -2 teaspoon cooking oil
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried green peppercorn, crushed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 2 cups hot cooked fusilli or 2 cups vermicelli (optional) or 2 cups other pastas (optional)
- fresh sage sprig (optional)
- Remove skin from chicken. Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Spray a
- cold large skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat skillet over medium heat.
- Cook chicken in hot skillet about 10 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Remove.
- chicken from skillet. Add 1 teaspoon oil to skillet. (Add additional 1 teaspoon.
- oil, if necessary). Add mushrooms, onion, and crushed peppercorns. Cook and
- stir for 4 to 5 minutes or till vegetables are tender. Stir in broth; return.
- chicken pieces to skillet. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- 20 minutes or till chicken is tender and no longer pink. Remove chicken. Stir.
- together milk and flour. Add to skillet. Cook and stir till thickened and
- bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in mustard and sherry; return.
- chicken to skillet and heat through. Serve over hot cooked pasta, if desired.
- Garnish with fresh sage sprigs, if desired.
This is really good! I doubled the sauce and it still wasn't enough for our teenager. We all thought that this sauce could be used on other dishes as well. Thanks for the recipe.