Recipe by *OzMan*
This was a recipe adoptee that I had been playing with and had a very good friend work on and she made some changes that I am very happy with! ;) Let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy it. :)
Top Review by marci h
We've been enjoying this recipe since 2008! Kids love it, adults love it! If you can start with a pre-cooked chicken, it's super fast! Sometimes I use frozen cilantro cubes from Trader Joe's, to give it more cilantro flavor. And instead of 1 cup green salsa, I use a whole jar of Trader Joe's green salsa. Super good with cotija cheese too. This recipe keeps and reheats well too. My 3 boys love it!! Thank you so much!
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 cup green chili salsa
- 1 cup water or 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (minced)
- 1⁄2 fresh lime, juice of
- 12 soft taco-size flour tortillas
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, Grated
- lettuce, Chopped
- 1 tomatoes, Chopped
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large sauce pan, combine first 9 ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover chicken and reduce heat to simmering. Simmer approximately 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and squeeze in the juice of 1/2 lime.
- Heat tortillas and keep warm in foil.
- Put two tablespoons of the chicken mixture and one tablespoon of grated cheese in each tortilla.
- Serve with option of lettuce, tomato, sour cream or guacamole and extra salsa as desired.