Recipe by Ridgely
This recipe comes from a favorite new cook book "The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner". Our family has never been that overwhelmed with chicken tacos until we tried this recipe. The kids were fighting over this meat mixture and have demanded that it be put on our monthly tried and trues. The only thing I did to change the recipe was to add just a bit of chicken taco seasoning that I had in the cabinet from Penzey Spice Company. Don't know if it really needed it, I just wanted to try my new spice.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 12 corn tortillas, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the butter and canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and the onions (and taco seasoning if using) and cook and stir until the onions are soft and the chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Add the garlic and cook one minute more.
- Decrease the heat to low and stir in the tomatoes and cilantro.
- Add water or chicken broth if the mixture seems to dry.
- Season generously with salt, pepper and garlic salt (if not using taco seasoning).
- Continue cooking about two minutes. Cover and turn off heat.
- Serve with assorted taco toppings.