Recipe by Nova Scotia Cook
This recipe was one that I received from my Mom (now deceased). Don't know where she acquired it. Mom was always one for trying new recipes and this apparently was one that met with her approval and mine too, I might add. Great comfort food I like to serve during one of our chilly Nova Scotia winters.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon savory
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup cooked rice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Het oil in large saucepan or dutch oven.
- Add onion, celery& carrot.
- Cook on low heat for a few minutes until tender but not brown.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables& cook gently for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken stock& milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add sage, thyme, savory& worcestershire sauce.
- Reduce heat& simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken& rice.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Taste& season with salt& pepper.