2 hrs 30 mins
Dienia B.'s Note:
Dodge County Extension 1976 homemade all the way old recipe. She says this dish freezes and reheats well. I think you might be able to make a couple of pies out of this recipe even though she says one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 78.07 ml butter
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml carrot, chopped
- 236.59 ml celery, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped
- 59.14 ml peas
- 118.29 ml flour
- 473.18 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml cream, 1/2 and1/2
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 709.77 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 236.59 ml lard or 236.59 ml shortening
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 73.94 ml water, ice
- 14.79 ml vinegar
- 1 egg yolk
- 14.79 ml milk
- 1Stew chicken. Debone chicken to get 4 cups cooked chicken (use rest for another chicken dish); get 2 cups broth (use rest of broth for another chicken dish).
- 2Heat chicken fat or butter in skillet.
- 3Saute onion, carrot, celery, and potato for 5 minutes until tender crisp; add peas.
- 4Stir in flour until blended.
- 5Stir in chicken broth and 1/2 and 1/2 cream.
- 6Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils.
- 7Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Combine with chicken and pour mixture in 2 quart baking dish.
- 9Roll out pastry to 1/4 inch thickness and 1 inch bigger than dish.
- 10Cover chicken mixture; fold excess pastry under and crimp edge.
- 11With a sharp knife cut a small diamond in middle of top crust.
- 12Brush generously with egg yolk and milk topping mixture.
- 13Bake in preheated 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 30 minutes.
- 15For pastry,combine flour and salt; cut in lard.
- 16Mix egg, ice water, and vinegar.
- 17Gradually stir into flour. Mix.
- 18Roll out.
- 19This dish freezes and reheats well.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pot Pie With Rich Pastry Crust
Serving Size: 1 (766 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1684.8
- Calories from Fat 1048
- Total Fat 116.5 g
- Saturated Fat 44.7 g
- Cholesterol 446.2 mg
- Sodium 2608.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 83.7 g