Apple Pan Dowdy
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 7 -8 tart green apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- pie pastry (original recipe called for 1/3 of Recipe of Mary's Old Virginny Pie Pastry, which I have posted here)
- sugar (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and butter a 2" deep 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Combine sugar, flour and spices in large bowl.
- Add molasses and stir to form a paste.
- Add apples, raisins and nuts and stir well.
- Pack into baking dish.
- Roll enough pastry 1/8 inch thick to cover apples.
- Drape pastry over fruit. Trim pastry leaving 1/2 inch overlap to tuck into dish.
- Bake until crust is golden brown about 35-40 minutes.
- Sprinkle top lightly with sugar. Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!