Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is old-fashioned, from scratch, comfort food. This has been a family favorite for years. I like to take this to other families when they are in need of a meal. It's always a winner. I like making it with leftover turkey, too! I often add some cooked diced potatoes.
- 78.07 ml margarine or 78.07 ml butter
- 78.07 ml flour
- 78.07 ml chopped onion
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 414.03 ml chicken broth
- 158.51 ml milk
- 473.18 ml cut up cooked chicken
- 283.49 g package frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 prepared pie crusts (1 top crust and 1 bottom crust)
- Heat butter over low heat until melted.
- Blend in flour, onion, salt and pepper.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in broth and milk.
- Heat to boiling; stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute.
- Stir in chicken and veggies. (Add in 1 - 2 diced cooked potatoes if you like!).
- Line pie plate with prepared bottom crust.
- Pour in filling.
- Top with top crust. Cut slits in center to vent. Flute edges.
- Cook uncovered in 425°F oven until crust is brown; approximately 30-35 minutes.
Wonderful. I always add my own touches so this is what I did. A trick I learned years ago...if you are making a "wet" pie like a custard (pumpkin, etc.), brush the bottom crust with some egg white to seal it. Put it in the pan and brush it. Let it set a bit and then put your ingredients in. I added some fresh thyme and rosemary, sauteed mushrooms and pre-cooked litte potato cubes along with the veggies called for (pre-cooked). I also added some white wine and dry mustard. Brushed the top with an egg wash. Fantastic. A keeper!
I was skeptical about the reason between so many 5-star ratings - the recipe seems way to simple! But simple can be good, and this was great. It was easy to make, had easy ingredients, and was rich and tasty. I added a little poultry seasoning to mine, and made a biscuit topping since I only had one pie crust. I can't wait to try this again and experiment with different vegetables and seasonings.
What a great & very easy recipe!! It was my first pie ever made & was a hit with the family.. I made mini pies just for snacks before lunch but every1 was asking for more! Cant wait to try it out again this time as a main course!!! Very Yummy :-)