Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This healthier pot pie recipe includes homemade biscuits with thyme and buttermilk. You can substitute any vegetables that you like - Ive even thrown a bag of mixed veggies in there and it is still delicious.
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 cup peeled baby carrots
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved
- 2 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced cooked chicken or 2 1⁄2 cups turkey
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- To prepare filling: Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots; cook, stirring, until golden brown and tender, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until browned and their liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Return the onions and carrots to the pan.
- Add 2 cups broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer.
- Mix cornstarch with the remaining 1/2 cup broth; add to the pan and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in chicken (or turkey), peas, sour cream, salt and pepper. Transfer the filling to a 2-quart baking dish.
- To prepare biscuit topping and bake potpie: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and thyme in a large bowl.
- Using your fingertips or 2 knives, cut butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly.
- Add buttermilk and oil; stir until just combined. Drop the dough onto the filling in 6 even portions. .
- Bake the potpie until the topping is golden and the filling is bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.