Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I came up with this recipe last night. I do have to credit "Colorboyswife" Alfredo Sauce for the wonderful sauce. This would also be easy to make for a crowd. It looks pretty and tastes divine!
- 1⁄2 lb penne rigate, uncooked
- 3 chicken breast halves, cut into bite size chunks
- 2 medium red bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 1 small onion, sliced into strips
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 10 black olives, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
For the Sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, make sauce.
- Melt butter, heavy cream and cream cheese.
- Add parmesan cheese and garlic powder.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes over low heat.
- Heat 1 tbs olive oil and toast pine nuts until golden brown. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to the pan and sauté onions for 2 minutes.
- Add red peppers and pepper flakes and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken pieces. Sauté until chicken is cooked through.
- Add mushrooms, olives, basil and parsley.
- Stir in sauce and pine nuts.
- Drain pasta, and stir into mixture.
- Let simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Loved this recipe! The only thing that I did different was to use fresh mushrooms. I also used twice the sauce! My husband is not fond of me testing recipes, but even he said the recipe was a keeper!
Don't turn out very good!!
Fabulous! I took this to a birthday party last night and everyone raved about how beautiful it looked and how divine it tasted. Several people commented on how especially nice the pine nuts were. I think it is a very flexible recipe because I had to adapt it quite a bit for what I had on hand and it was still great. For the sauce, I used half and half, no cream cheese, and a rounded cup of parmesan. I sauteed the onions, red pepper flakes, (and some chopped garlic) for a few minutes, addedthe the chicken breasts whole and sauteed until cooked through. After removing the cooked chicken, I added fresh mushrooms (lots), olives, and dried parsley and basil to the onions and sauteed until the mushrooms were just barely soft. (When I have fresh basil, I think it will be even better; but the dried leaves worked.) I did not have the red bell pepper, so added chunnked tomatoes just before adding the sauce to the vegetables. Before constructing, I cut the chicken breasts in half. Then I put the cooked penne (whole wheat) in the bottom of a baking dish. I poured half of the sauce and vegetable mixture over the pasta and gently tossed it; placed the chicken breast pieces on top, then poured the remaining sauce on top of the lot. I did not cook the casserole any more, but I did transport it in a thermal carrier and put it in a warm oven to Thanks for a real winner! keep until it was ready to serve at the party.