Recipe by DiWriter
This is a recipe I clipped from Newsday years ago, when I was learning to cook as a teen. Still works today
Top Review by MBG
I needed to find a recipe for pheasant and tried this. It was absolutely delicious! I substituted the onion with a cup or so of pearl onions and cut the mushrooms into quarters so they would better keep their consistency. The ingredients call for green pepper but they are omitted in the recipe instructions. I sautéed them with the garlic and onion. Very easy to prepare. I will definitely make this again.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 (10 ounce) package white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the chicken into cubes and toss with the flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat a little oil in a large skillet and brown the chicken until almost cooked through. Remove from the pan, and sautee the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Return the chicken to the pan, adding the tomatoes, broth and paprika and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for another 15 minutes,.
- 5 minutes before serving, swirl in the sour cream.
- Serve over noodles, spaetzle, couscous or polenta.