Recipe by Abba Gimel
a twist on chicken soup & mushroom barley soup that will literally make your taste buds come alive! These ingredients came together after I cleaned the refrigerator.
Top Review by Outta Here
Delicious soup! I took a couple of liberties with the recipe. I halved the recipe. I used a combination of button and shiitake mushrooms, and added 1/2 can of diced tomatoes I needed to use up. Also used breast and thigh meat. The rosemary really does add a lot of flavor to this. I used fresh from the garden. Very similar to a soup my grandmother used to make. This will be made again! Made for Spring 2010 PAC.
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 leek
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup fresh rosemary (you will be amazed how much flavor it adds wait till you taste it) or 1⁄4 chopped rosemary (you will be amazed how much flavor it adds wait till you taste it)
- olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white button mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 sprig thyme
- bay leaf
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
Directions See How It's Made
- Mince garlic; slice leek longways then chop.
- Place a standard dutch oven(or soup pot if you don't have a dutch oven) on the stove top.
- Add a splash of olive oil, garlic, leek, onion and rosemary and saute over medium high heat for several minutes.
- Add white wine and stir gently for one minute.
- Add chicken broth, mushrooms, bay leaves, carrots, celery,and barley and increase heat slightly. Stir occasionally until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Chop chicken into strips. Add a splash of olive oil to a frying pan and brown chicken on both sides. While chicken is cooking, season with pepper & thyme.
- Add chicken to soup mixture. Again bring mixture to a boil. After it reaches the boiling stage, reduce heat to simmer and partially cover.
- Cook approximately 30 minutes (stirring occasionally) to insure chicken is cooked through.