a twist on chicken soup & mushroom barley soup that will literally make your taste buds come alive! These ingredients came together after I cleaned the refrigerator.
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 leek
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup fresh rosemary (you will be amazed how much flavor it adds wait till you taste it) or 1⁄4 chopped rosemary (you will be amazed how much flavor it adds wait till you taste it)
- olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white button mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 sprig thyme
- bay leaf
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- Mince garlic; slice leek longways then chop.
- Place a standard dutch oven(or soup pot if you don't have a dutch oven) on the stove top.
- Add a splash of olive oil, garlic, leek, onion and rosemary and saute over medium high heat for several minutes.
- Add white wine and stir gently for one minute.
- Add chicken broth, mushrooms, bay leaves, carrots, celery,and barley and increase heat slightly. Stir occasionally until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Chop chicken into strips. Add a splash of olive oil to a frying pan and brown chicken on both sides. While chicken is cooking, season with pepper & thyme.
- Add chicken to soup mixture. Again bring mixture to a boil. After it reaches the boiling stage, reduce heat to simmer and partially cover.
- Cook approximately 30 minutes (stirring occasionally) to insure chicken is cooked through.
Delicious soup! I took a couple of liberties with the recipe. I halved the recipe. I used a combination of button and shiitake mushrooms, and added 1/2 can of diced tomatoes I needed to use up. Also used breast and thigh meat. The rosemary really does add a lot of flavor to this. I used fresh from the garden. Very similar to a soup my grandmother used to make. This will be made again! Made for Spring 2010 PAC.
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I love soups and I have just started trying to keep my carbs at 20 per meal so I was excited to find this recipe. I tried to keep to your recipes but had to make some adjustments for the ingredients that I had on hand. I had a whole chicken so I gently simmered it with onions, carrots, celery,black peppercorns and garlic. I also put thyme, rosemary and bay leaves in at this time. When the chicken was done and cooled it was deboned. I strained the cooking liquid and fortified the stock with Better than Bouillon for chicken ( about 3 tablespoons.) I re seasoned with more rosemary, thyme, sage, a bay leaf and marjoram. I only had dry spices and herbs so that is what I used. I added the sage and marjoram for my tastes. I cooked the barley for 30 minutes and then added the carrots and celery and then the sauteed leeks and mushrooms. I continued cooking for another 30 minutes and then added the cooked chicken. I had to simmer just a little longer to get the barley perfect, which I think was 10 minutes. We both loved this soup and it is a keeper and one that we will have often. I can not thank you enough for this delightful dish.
This soup is DE-LISH! Add all the rosemary as recommended and use a combo of light and dark meat. I made this for a couple whose wife was recuperating from surgery last year and they still compliment me on this soup. Yum! Yum! BTW, I have added baby kale to this and it's very good, also.