Recipe by evelyn/athens
This has been in my 'tried and true' forever. Simple and tasty. Home-cooking. Origin, unknown.
Top Review by Derf
Mmmmmmm, very nice! I scaled the recipe to half, turned out great. I just happened to have some left over dry white wine, so used that instead of the lemon juice and cut the olives to a couple of tablespoons, other than that pretty much followed the recipe. We liked the allspice taste very much. I should say also that I used skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, they worked just fine. This was a nice combination of tastes with a delicious sauce. We served it with green beans and parselied potatoes. Thanks for sharing.
- 4 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom
- 4 small onions, quartered
- 1 cup drained canned tomato
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- buttered rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash chicken pieces and pat dry.
- Season chicken and dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat oil and butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown chicken pieces, a few at a time, then remove to a side plate as they are browned and continue with other pieces, adding more oil and butter if necessary.
- Quickly brown mushrooms, then remove to a side plate.
- Add onions to pan and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth.
- Add tomatoes, green pepper, olives, garlic and allspice; simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until tender.
- Arrange chicken on platter and keep warm in oven.
- Stir lemon juice into mixture in pan, add mushrooms and bring to the boil.
- Boil until reduced by half.
- Pour over chicken and serve.