1/1 Photo of Chicken in Sour Cream Paprika Sauce
This is a favorite family meal I serve often during the chilly winter months. Warm, comforting, and fairly easy to fix. Purists beware -while this may remind some of vaguely of a Hungarian Paprikash dish, this is NOT at all claiming to be a traditional recipe - just a comforting chicken dish in a creamy, red sauce that I like to serve over steamed dumplings. You may also serve this over buttered egg noodles, if you choose. If you use fresh mushrooms in this, I recommend peeling off their outer skin first so they do not release so much water.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- flour, as needed for dusting chicken
- 2 -3 teaspoons canola oil, as needed
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained or 6 -8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced, stemmed, and peeled
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup (reduced fat is OK)
- 0.5 (10 7/8 ounce) can cold water (use soup can)
- 1 cup sour cream (light or regular but NOT fat free)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika, to taste (or spicy)
- freshly cooked egg noodles or steamed bread dumplings
- 1Lightly dust chicken chunks with some flour- just enough to coat.
- 2Set a large nonstick stock pot on medium-high heat and add a tsp or two of oil (a little more if your pan is not nonstick)- just enough to prevent sticking.
- 3Sauté chicken in the pan just to brown lightly on all sides- not to cook all the way through yet.
- 4Remove from pan using a slotted spoon and set in a covered dish to keep warm.
- 5Add onions and mushrooms to the pan and sauté until lightly browned, adding another tsp of oil only if needed.
- 6Add tomato soup (undiluted), then fill the soup can halfway with water and add that water to the pan.
- 7Stir in sour cream, the bay leaf, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper (or to taste), and 2 tsp of paprika, either sweet or spicy (in this I prefer the sweet)- your choice.
- 8Add chicken chunks back to the pan, stir, cover pan, and lower heat and let simmer approximately 30-45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked all the way through and is tender (meanwhile, start cooking your dumplings/noodles).
- 9Check the seasonings, adding a bit more salt, pepper, and/or paprika only if needed.
- 10Remove bay leaf and serve ladled over freshly cooked dumplings or hot buttered egg noodles in bowls.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken in Sour Cream Paprika Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.3
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 92.5 mg
- Sodium 555.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 26.4 g