SLOW COOKER BEEF BARLEY SOUP
photo by clubfoody
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 10mins
- 2 lbs blade steaks, cubed into bite-size pieces (aka chuck steak)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups white onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with its liquid)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Cube beef and then season generously with salt and black pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, add oil. When hot but not smoking, add meat and quickly sear for about 4 minutes or until most of red is gone even though meat is not totally cooked; remove from heat and set aside.
- In a slow cooker, add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth, beef broth, red wine, barley, Worcestershire sauce and rosemary; stir to combine. Add seared meat including the drippings; stir well. Add bay leaf and cook for 4 ½ hours on “High” or 8 hours on “Low”, or until beef is tender and vegetables are cooked.
- If using stove top instead of slow cooker, simmer for 1 hour on medium heat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
clubfoody.com is about combining fresh ingredients, herbs and spices. This is a fun destination for foodies who love new recipes complete with videos and kitchen tips.