My favorite flauta recipe, from a Mexican cookbook by Jane Milton. The addition of cheese inside makes them very tasty! I serve these with crema (or sour creme) and homemade salsa. Cook time is for total endeavor, but doesn't include chicken prep as I often use pre-cooked or leftover chicken.
- Bring saucepan of water and chicken to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes, until chicken is cooked.
- Remove from pan.
- After chicken has cooled, shred with 2 forks and set aside.
- Chop onion and mince garlic.
- Add onion and garlic to heated oil and sauté on low heat until onion is soft, but not browned.
- Mix in chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and add in cheese.
- Mix well.
- Soften tortillas in microwave for 30 sec.
- Heat frying oil until small piece of tortilla floats and bubbles.
- Place chicken mixture in each tortilla, roll up tightly and secure with toothpick.
- I recommend putting tortilla in oil immediately, as they tend to crack and come apart if left sitting.
- Turn flautas frequently, cooking 2-3 minutes or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with creme and salsa, if desired.
Excellent mexican food taste it, you will be wondered Kindly Jose Sevilla
I love chicken flautas, but do make them a bit differently. I actually do not use any garlic or onions; instead, I cook the chicken in a pan with sazon seasoning (Goya product found in any grocery store - mexican food section) to give it a little kick. I then mix together the chicken with a jar of picante sauce (I prefer medium. They have mild as well but it is excellent) and then put mixture on tortilla. I also use monterrey jack cheese or a nacho cheese blend, which tastes just fine. Do not use cheddar though, as it gives it a weird taste. Either way, these are my favorite mexican food, and I have been told the way I make them even tastes better than the ones they sell at a popular mexican restaurant in my area...
I have this same cookbook and have made these flautas a ton of times. I absolutely love them, the feta gives a delicious flavor. I usually serve with a fresh home-made salsa or Tomatillo & Avocado Salsa.