Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Filled with flavor, from the Mississippi Valley Chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. While this recipe is written in an old-fashioned way, it is perfectly safe if processed using modern methods. If you are unfamiliar with these techniques, please go to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html for the current information.
- 1⁄2 peck ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 hot red pepper, chopped (leaving seeds in will add heat)
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- Chop tomatoes finely, drain off excess juice.
- Mix with onions, peppers and celery.
- Dissolve sugar and salt in vinegar; add with mustard seed and spices to vegetables.
- Mix well and seal in sterilized jars.