Recipe by saltysally
This vegetarian entree is always on the table at our family celebrations because it is such a decadent treat. It is rare to find a vegetarian dish with this much "comfort quality".
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 large sweet onion
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup cracker (whole grain is nice)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- vegetable oil
- 2 (8 ounce) cans low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In food processor, mix walnuts, onion and crackers. Pulse until coarsely crumbed. Pour into large bowl.
- Now in processor mix eggs and creamed cheese until smooth.
- Mix egg mixture into walnut mixture in bowl. Add cheddar and oregano, blend well. If mixture is too loose, add more cracker crumbs.
- Heat 2 T vegetable oil in nonstick skillet on medium. Drop mixture into patties in hot nonstick skillet. Drain on paper towels after browned and firm. (Watch closely, they can burn easily).
- Mix sauce ingredients together with a whisk. Spray 9" X 13" casserole dish with oil spray. Layer patties in a single layer in bottom of dish. Pour 3/4 sauce over patties. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, pour rest of sauce on, and bake 10 minutes more. Serve with green salad on the side.