Recipe by GinnyP
Submitted to Taste of Home magazine by Mark Trinklein. The first time I made this, it was as part of a romantic dinner I made for Valentine's Day. Very good and a keeper! It reheats well, too. I wouldn't hesitate to make it in advance.
Top Review by Rachel Ricard
This soup is sooo yummy, and quick and eacy to make. I even made mine a lighter version by using skim milk and using only enough butter to saute the onions and celery instead of the full 2 tbsp. The chicken broth gives the soup a yummy buttery flavour without all the fat. I also emptied the entire batch into my blender at once and didn't have any problems and only needed one pot. I will be making this again and again.
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash paprika
- seasoned croutons, for garnish (optional)
- minced parsley (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute' onion and celery in butter until tender.
- Add potatoes and broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Puree in small batches in a blender until smooth; return to the pan.
- (I return it to a different pan. Another pan to clean, but it makes it easier for me.) Stir in the cheese, milk, pepper and paprika.
- Cook and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with parsley and croutons, if desired.