Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
There are several recipes for this on this site, but none quite like this! I have a recipe posted for the puris if you don't want to search the stores, or, use crackers! Puris (Fried Bread Puffs)
- 1⁄2 cup garbanzo beans
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rock salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large potato, peeled, boiled and mashed
- 32 thin wheat crackers
- 1⁄4 cup green chutney
- 1⁄4 cup sweet and sour chutney
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup crushed potato chips
- Boil the garbanzo beans for 30 minutes or until fork tender, drain.
- Beat the yogurt together with the following: fresh grated ginger, chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, rock salt or black salt, black pepper and salt.
- Season the mashed potato with salt.
- Break each puri gently with a fork to create a tiny opening on the top. Arrange the puris in 4 plates, 8 in each plate. Or, if using wheat crackers arrange them on a platter or plates.
- Place the potatoes on top of each cracker. Place about 1 tablespoon of potato in each puri or on each cracker.
- Place a few garbanzo beans on top of the potato.
- Spoon the spiced yogurt on top.
- Spoon green chutney and sweet and sour chutney on top of it.
- Garnish with the chopped onion, cilantro, and sev on top.
- Serving tip: I like to set up a number of small bowls with each of the above condiments, so that each person can add whatever they want to, according to their taste and preferences.