Recipe by MarieRynr
This delicious version of soup makes a meal. We like to have it with a hot and crusty loaf of French Bread. I like to garnish it with buttery toasted homemade croutons for an extra special touch.
Top Review by Chef Pollo
This was great!! I loved the flavor, this will now be my go-to cauli soup recipe. Mine came out uber thick... so I had to water down a bit with milk and broth. BUT, I know that was how I cooked the veggies. I think I let it go on too long and all the broth simmered down, and I think I did the same thing with the cheese sauce. Next time, I'll do it right! Thanks for sharing!
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into Florets
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 10 ounces chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 cups milk
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- cayenne pepper or curry powder or white pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the cauliflower, onion, broth and bullion cube in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour until smooth.
- Gradually add the milk, cooking and stirring until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook, stirring for 2 minutes longer.
- Reduce heat and stir in cheese and seasonings.
- Using a stick blender, blend the vegetable broth mixture until smooth.
- Stir in the cheese sauce and blend again to combine.
- Serve hot in heated bowls with a sprinkling of parsley on top of each.
- You may garnish with bread croutons if you wish.