Cauliflower Cheese Soup
photo by *Parsley*
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 ounce butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large cauliflower (about 2lb)
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 cups vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan.
- Tip in the onion and cook until softened, about 5 mins, stirring often. Add the cauliflower, potato, stock, milk and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and leave to simmer for about 30 mins until the cauliflower is soft and the potato almost collapsing.
- Whizz in a food processor or crush with a potato masher until you get a creamy, thick soup.
- Top up with more milk to thin a little if serving in mugs. You can make ahead up to 2 days in advance, cool, cover and leave in the fridge until needed, or freeze for up to 1 month.
- When ready to serve, warm through, ladle into mugs or bowls, top with the cheese, then stir through before eating.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This gets nice and thick..... just the thing for a cold day! In step 2, the seasonings I used were salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Sharp cheddar is definitely the perfect choice of cheese for this. I used my immersion blender to blend and I didn't feel the need to thin it with more milk. It was a lovely soup. Thanx!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Manchester, UK with my fiance and young son. I work at the local hospital in pediatrics and love my job. I also love cooking!! I have a sweet tooth but try and make healthy family meals, I'm not against some lovely treats now and then though :)