Recipe by Outta Here
A sweet pie, but could be used as a side dish to turkey or chicken. If not worried about sugar intake, sub equal amount of granulated sugar for Splenda.
Top Review by Brooke the Cook in WI
This was so awesome!! The middle was very light and fluffy, not as dense as pumpkin, but had a very similar flavor. Very, very easy to make as well. I used 2 egg whites + 1 egg and skim milk to the reduce fat. Also, I covered the edges of the crust for the first 30 minutes of baking to prevent from burning. I'm seriously considering having this for Thanksgiving instead of pumpkin, it was that good!
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda granular (sugar substitute)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Press the pie crust into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes; remove from the oven and set aside.
- Place carrots in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and puree carrots in a food processor.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the carrot puree, sugar and eggs. Mix in the cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Gradually stir in the milk.
- Pour the mixture into the partially baked pie shell. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven and then reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Bake for an additional 40 to 45 minutes at the lower temperature, or until firm.
- Cool slightly on wire rack before cutting.