Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A twist on both carrot cake and zucchini bread. Yummy! From Better Homes & Gardens, Aug. 2001.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded (~1 medium zucchini)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Citrus-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon lemons, zest of or 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ginger and baking soda.
- In another large bowl, combine eggs, carrot, zucchini, oil, honey, vanilla and walnuts and raisins, if used.
- Add carrot mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Spread batter into an ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Frosting:in a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with powdered sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy.
- Fold in lemon/orange zest.
- Frost and store in the refrigerator.
- Cut into bars to serve.
I am reviewing the cake only as I used a Browned Butter Frosting (more on that later). Anyway, this cake/bar really could use a pinch of salt. I felt the cake had good potential, but it really fell flat for my family. We ate the frosting and pitched most of the cake.
These are tasty. Rather than calling it a bar, I would say it's more cake-like. I substituted part of the sugar with xylitol in the bar and stevia in the frosting. I used a mix of regular and wheat flour. I put in chocolate chips instead of raisins just because I love chocolate. For the frosting, I didn't have enough regular cream cheese, so instead I used a tub of Philly brand honey nut flavor cream cheese. Thanks for posting this.
Awesome recipe. The kids couldn't stay out of these, nor could I!