photo by Jadelabyrinth
- Ready In:
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups zucchini, Grated
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup oleo (not spread or tub product) or 1/2 cup butter, room temperature (not spread or tub product)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- milk, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease/flour a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Beat eggs; add sugar and oil.
- Add the zucchini and vanilla; stir to mix well.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and add to the egg mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until done.
- While the bars are baking, whip the butter and cream cheese until light; add vanilla and powdered sugar.
- Beat until fluffy, adding a *little* milk as needed if frosting is too thick.
- Spread frosting on top of the bars when they are cooled.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 21 more reviews
These bars were very good, and hti the spot for my sweet tooth! I used applesauce instead of oil, and only 2 cups powdered sugar and it was perfect. I cut them into 24 bars which brought the calories down to about 167 per bar. I did think the "cake" was a bit dense, so maybe I'll add a little extra applesauce next time. All in all, they were delish!
one word, YUM! these were so good and so easy to make i fear for my waistline and the waistlines of all of my friends. but then, it *is* zucchini which is good for you. anyway, i too added some cinnamon, nutmeg and ground clove to the batter and i used butter instead of oleo in the frosting. it came out perfectly. i took half to a friend's housewarming party and my pan was returned the next day with a "so when are you making that again?"
This is a very easy recipe, simple to make and very moist. I did make a few adjustments. I reduced sugar to 1 1/2 C for both the bars and frosting. My hub thought it still was too sweet but I liked it. I added spices: 1/4 tsp allspice, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cardamom. I like natural ingredients, so I used butter instead of oleo. The reduced sugar allowed for the rich creamy flavors of the butter and cream cheese stand out, yummy!! I baked in 9X13 pan and this turned out to be like a carrot cake. I think next time i'll use the 11X13 pan. Thanks for an excellent recipe, i'll be making this again!
see 1 more tweaks